Dr Leith Oliver
Dr Leith Oliver is a facilitator and lecturer in the Business School’s Executive Programmes, the Departments of Information Systems and Operations Management, and Management and International Business.
PhD, MBA and MPhil 1st Class Hons
Assoc. Member Institute of Directors
Professional Teaching Fellow – University of Auckland
+64 272 908 699 mobile
Along with others from the University of Auckland Leith Oliver also developed and delivered the business growth programs offered by The ICEHOUSE business incubator. His work with The ICEHOUSE included the role of Executive in Residence, providing mentoring guidance and disciplines to start-ups and growing businesses in the small and medium business sector.
Leith Oliver has a broad experience as an owner of many businesses including companies engaged in housing construction, furniture manufacturing and exporting, and retailing. He has co-authored the book “Production Planning Systems Design” with the late Associate Professor Victor Portougal (Auckland) and is also lead author of the New Zealand “Small Business Book” (six editions), with Associate Professor John English (Canberra).
Leith Oliver’s consulting and advisory work has covered a large range of businesses from small start- ups to some of New Zealand’s larger organisations.
Leith Oliver’s Distinctions/Honours
- Franchise Association of New Zealand National Awards Judge 1996/1997
- South Canterbury Business Awards Judge 2009-2017
- Westpac Business Awards Judge 2014
- Taupo Lakes District Business Awards Judge 2011-2015
- Presenter on EY’s Entrepreneurial Women’s Program 2014/2015
- 2010 Teaching Excellence Award – University of Auckland
- 1998 Lecturing Excellence Award – Unitec
- 1998 Staff Excellence Award – Unitec
- 1997 Excellence in Teaching Award – Unitec
Areas of Expertise
- Business Start-Ups
- Trouble Shooting
- Managing Growth in Small and Medium Businesses (under $1 million to $100 million revenue).
- Strategic Thinking and Planning
- Innovation in Product, Process, Business Model, and Marketing
- Business Performance Analysis and Turnarounds
- Operations and Production Planning
- Financial Management
- Post Graduate Committee member (MIB)
- Leith Oliver advisor to ICEHOUSE Start-up companies
- Course Design and Development for the ICEHOUSE
- Advisory Board Member – International Foods Ltd 2011-2018
- Advisory Board Member – Hortus Ltd 2011-2018
- Business Advisor – Carson Construction Engineers Ltd 2013/2014
- Business Advisor – Awarua Trust 2013/2014
- NZQA Degree Approval Panelist Tai Poutini Polytech 2014
Selected publications and creative work
- Oliver, L., & English, J. (2011). The Small Business Book – A New Zealand Guide for the 21st Century (6 editions.). Sydney: Allen & Unwin.
- Oliver, L. (2010). The Innovation Imperative: for New Zealand to become more competitive in global markets and boost its economic prosperity, we need to become masters of innovation at a global level. NZ Business, 24 (11), 36-37.
- Oliver, L. (2007). Enabling business growth: Key design elements for educational programs aimed at enabling growth in owner-managed, medium-sized New Zealand businesses. University of Auckland.